NEA- Music Video Research- analysing lyrics

Ed Sheeran- Afire Love

Things were all good yesterday
And then the devil took your memory
And if you fell to your death today
I hope that heaven is your resting place
I heard the doctors put your chest in pain
But then that could have been the medicine
And now you're lying in the bed again
Either way I'll cry with the rest of them

Idea 1- Scene starts of with the backs of an older couple sitting down in chairs. In between them is a table with a photo frame on it. A guitar will also be in the frame somewhere. During these lyrics I would have close ups of the artist singing. If he is wearing a shirt or blazer, there will be a rose in his pocket and I will take a close up of it. The artist will also be playing an instrument, either a keyboard or piano and I will take tracking shots and close ups of him playing them.
Idea 2- Starts off with a medium shot of an older couple sitting down. One of them presses play on a CD/ cassette player (close up) and cuts back to a medium shot with them looking at each other affectionately. Then it cuts to a close up of their hands intertwining. In front, but centred between the couple, is a photo frame which the camera is tracking towards.

And my father told me, son
It's not his fault he doesn't know your face
And you're not the only one
Although my grandma used to say, he used to say

Idea 1- start off dance sequence by having male dancer interact/ argue with his 'father'. The father will walk off screen and then he will turn around and the female dancer will walk on screen.

Idea 2- follow the couple through the photo. Tracking shot of them exploring the area. Several medium shots of them walking around and acting as a couple. Perhaps include the intertextual reference to The Beatles here.

Darling hold me in your arms the way you did last night
And we'll lie inside, a little while he wrote
I could look into your eyes until the sun comes up
And we're wrapped in light, in life, in love
Put your open lips on mine and slowly let them shut
For they're designed to be together oh
With your body next to mine our hearts will beat as one
And we're set alight, we're afire love, love, love oh

Idea - have them do a small dance (wide shot). Her, also have the artist singing to the girl (Lots of close ups). Then a tracking shot going horizontally whilst the artist is playing the guitar. Maybe then cut to the older version of the artist playing the guitar and track backwards horizontally during this. Then cut back to the younger version of the couple dancing.

And things were all good yesterday
Then the devil took your breath away
And now we're left here in the pain
Black suit, black tie standin' in the rain
And now my family is one again
Stapled together with the strangers and a friend
Came to my mind I should paint it with a pen
Six years old I remember when

Idea- maybe it's a bit later, making the scene a bit darker. Have the couple lay on the grass- the female laying her head on his shoulder and he will sing whilst giving direct mode of address. 'Now my family is one again'- the female walks out of the frame. Towards the end of the lyrics here, the camera will follow the movements of the artist as he begins to search for her.

And my father told me, son
It's not his fault he doesn't know your face
And you're not the only one
Although my grandma used to say, he used to say

Idea - wide shots of both the artist and the girl. He is singing during his shot. 

Darling hold me in your arms the way you did last night
And we'll lie inside, a little while he wrote
I could look into your eyes until the sun comes up
And we're wrapped in light, in life, in love
Put your open lips on mine and slowly let them shut
For they're designed to be together oh
With your body next to mine our hearts will beat as one
And we're set alight, we're afire love, love, love oh

Idea- wide shot of them at a distance. Then a tracking shot moving away from female. cut to a close up that shows a tear escaping the artist’s eye and he closes his eyes (close up). The shot then cuts to the older version of him with his eyes shut and the tear still running down his face and his eyes open.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linking to theories DRAFT

NEA Music Video Research- my song choices